2023 - 2024 Committee Roles
All committee members listed are expected to perform the following duties:
Attend all monthly committee meetings and or notify the secretary in advance of any absences.
Ensure their participation meets legal and ethical obligations.
Make decisions in the best interest of the society and its members by complying and being aware of the model rules.
Assist at events when in attendance.
Regularly participate in chat channels on Slack aplication.
Executive Committee/Office Bearers
Provides communication to members on behalf of the committee
Facilitate meetings and annual general meetings
Chairs committee meetings
Oversee all legal and financial responsibilities including access to ASA bank accounts and other sensitive information.
Vice Chairperson/Vice President
Internally appointed via management committee post AGM. Supports the chairperson/president by overseeing internal operations and stepping in when the president is unavailable .
Administration for the committee (including meeting minute taker)
Manage all committee-related correspondence with important parties and members.
Must either be a Queensland resident and or reside within 50km of the Queensland border.
Assistant Secretary/membership officer
Assists the secretary in completing secretarial duties
Manages membership software (Join it) and answers questions from members/potential members RE Join it/their membership.
Managing financial administration including reimbursement and paying of invoices (eg. Plant sales/venue hire).
Upkeep of asset registry
Annual budget preparation and reporting to office of fair trade
Attends monthly committee meetings as well as providing the management committee with quarterly financial updates to management committee
General Committee (Region Representatives)
Organises and run a at least two meetups (minimum of 4 in Queensland South) per year.
Submits quotes to committee for venue hire budget approval along with any other costing necessary
Organize speaker/s for the events
Emails and informs members about upcoming events in their region
Attends monthly committee meetings
New South Wales
General Committee (Other)
Organize at least 2 x yearly issues of the Aroida Australis
Gather content for publication from members, non-members and active persons of interest within the plant community
Organizing printing quotes and logistics to print issues
Posting issues of Aroida Australis to members who have identified to receive hard copies.
Liaise with assistant to the editor as appropriate
Special Projects Coordinator
Establish ASA website in line with society branding and goals, including members-only login area.
Liaise with Online Officer, State Reps, Editor, Assistant to the Secretary and any other relevant committee members to update and maintain this online presence.
· Support State Reps and Liaison Officer in running larger state-based events outside of quarterly meetups, invoicing vendors via Stripe and monitoring financials, and coordinating promotion
· Focus on increasing Society earnings via merchandising opportunities, whilst maintaining minimal outgoings and physical assets
· Work on grant funding projects in order to advance research into Aroids by Australian experts, as well as assist researchers publish findings
· Support committee members on large or unusual projects, as required
· Create online SOP manual in conjunction with President, Treasurer, Secretary and Assistant to the Secretary
· Identify potential partnerships with organisations, pursuing and maintaining these partnerships in line with Society by-laws. These include sponsors and other gardening societies
· Coordinate expert speakers, whether Australian or international, and explore funding opportunities to facilitate community engagement in conjunction with Special Projects Coordinator
· Connect special speakers with relevant events or media outlets
Non-committee volunteer positions
Assistant to the editor
· Assisting the editor by organizing sponsorship for the publication
· Proofreading the publication and assisting with the editing process.
Social media manager
· Assists the society by managing our Instagram, Facebook and any other social media posting/reposting regular content of interest to ASA members
· Liaising with state reps for pictures and content